Monday, July 03, 2006

Lesson 1: The Bottom Row

Finally! My last post for Lesson 1 of ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive Project Blog: Meta: The $100,000 Animation Drawing Course- Lesson 1.

I spent 35 minutes on this drawing and as soon as I was done, I could see three things wrong with it. The muzzle was too long, the mouth area was too wide, and something was wrong with the forehead -- it seemed too wide, but I couldn't place exactly how.

Now that I've scanned it, I can see that my muzzle was actually nearly perfect, but I misplaced the nose considerably. I was right about the area around the mouth -- it gets too wide just next to the mouth. The problem with the forehead is that I drew the hair and hat too low, and the forehead had widened out at that point.

On to the goat, I made the same mistake I've made on other drawings: made the eye too small.

And the horns don't curve enough.

My first try at the fox was interesting. It was pretty good except for the depth of the snout, and some weird shift where everything on the right side of the face is too far to the right. Obviously I got out of whack early, and then matched everything else to the part that was out of whack.


I tried again, and this came out well:

2 comments:

Me said...

Awesome sketches. It looks like the only thing missing here is a pair of 3D glasses.

G.A.D. said...

I followed a link from John K.'s blog

Oh, good its nice to see some one else is doing these lessons! I've been doing them since May and only have 2 more to do. These will really help a lot but your off on a great start. Keep up the hard work!